Friday, June 27, 2008

Skinny Horse #1



While the earlier May images of this mare have been deleted, the June photos show a mare that has put on a little weight but mostly just lost the dull and scraggly remnants of a slow-shedding winter coat.



Check out the comments made, even considering visible improvements (below) over a few short weeks:

"[IMO] 'a little thin' is an understatement. I would NOT even ride a horse that skinny ... there is no reason, other than neglect, for a YOUNG HEALTHY horse to be that skinny"

"[IMO] she is still very very very thin, you can see the top of her spine from withers to tailbone"

"I would also say this horse was 'thin' and wouldn't even stick a saddle on her"

"I WOULD NOT even consider putting a saddle on this horse and try to ride her at her weight"

I left the authors' emphasis, but fixed some typos.



I am not an expert on using the body condition scoring system, but I sure don't see a starving horse here.

No comments: